The annual Community Easter Sunrise Service will be held Sun., April 8 at 7 a.m. in the Central Section at Lewisville Park, located just off Highway 503 north of Battle Ground.
Eleven churches will participate in this year’s event. There will be no charge to enter the park for this service. The public is invited to attend.
According to Pastor Ed Staton of the Landmark Christian Assembly in Battle Ground, the Community Easter Sunrise Service started around 1987. It was an outgrowth of a weekly meeting of Battle Ground-area ministers who gathered for encouragement and prayer together.
“They felt like they wanted to do something so the churches in the community could get together and it’s been very successful ever since,’’ Staton said.
Staton said about 200 area residents attend the service each year.
“The thing I like about it the most is it does give a lot of the local pastors the chance to work together across denominational lines,’’ Staton said. “It’s just wonderful to see people in our community worship together from all different churches for the purpose of uplifting our Lord Jesus Christ. It provides a wonderful sense of community not only for our churches but for our community as well.’’
Participating churches and pastors at this year’s event include:
• Battle Ground Baptist Church – Pastor Calvin Blom
• Battle Ground United Methodist Church – Pastor Juli Reinholz
• Cherry Grove Friends Church – Pastor Arden Kinser
• Church of the Holy Spirit, Episcopal – Pastor Jeremy Lucas
• Church on the Rock – Pastor Bill Courtnay
• Hockinson Community Church – Pastor Mike White
• Landmark Christian Assembly – Pastor Ed Staton
• North Creek Church – Pastor Mark Newell
• Meadow Glade Seventh Day Adventist Church – Pastor Rick Bowes
• Sacred Heart Catholic Church – Father Paul Weckert
• Battle Ground Foursquare Church – Pastor Dan Russell
An offering will be taken to benefit the North County Community Food Bank. Last year, the offering presented to the Food Bank totalled $1,616.25.
This year’s speaker will be Pastor Arden Kinser, Pastor of Cherry Grove Friends Church. For more information on this year’s event, contact Ed Staton at (360) 687-3104.
Also this year, a number of Battle Ground-area churches will join together for a “Stations of the Cross” event on Good Friday, April 6, from 5-6 p.m. at Kiwanis Park, located at 422 Southwest 2nd Ave., in Battle Ground. The public is invited to attend. For more information on this event, contact Pastor Juli Reinholz at (360) 687-2542.