The trial for a Battle Ground man charged with rape of a child has been postponed until October following a motion to continue approved in Clark County Superior Court last week.
The case against Blake Hoffman, 19, now has a trial date of Oct. 7 following approval of a continuance June 27. Hoffman’s trial was initially scheduled to begin July 1, according to information from the state database on court cases.
Hoffman has pled not guilty to charges including rape of a child stemming from an investigation that began late last year.
According to a probable cause affidavit for Hoffman’s arrest, in December the Issaquah Police Department alerted the Battle Ground Police Department of “inappropriate” photos on a minor’s phone allegedly sent by the suspect. Following interviews with the victim and their sibling, investigators determined that both children and Hoffman had been sending photos to each other.
Further interviews of the suspect had Hoffman admit that he had sexual contact with one of the victims, according to the affidavit. It stated the incidents occurred between May and November of 2018. According to the affidavit, the victims were 11 and 9 years old at the time of the incidents.
Though an affidavit was filed, Hoffman was not arrested for the charges, instead answering a summons and making a first appearance April 2, according to the state court database. He remains out of custody, according to the continuance filing.
The charges against Hoffman were brought to light following a June 11 letter from Battle Ground Public Schools, informing student families that a former “lunch buddy” volunteer mentor was suspected of rape of a child. Previously district spokeswoman Rita Sanders had said Hoffman was not a volunteer with the district this school year. The letter stated that the Battle Ground Police Department told the district there was “no indication” that any of the alleged activity occurred on school district property.