Ahead of a large winter storm that was expected to hit early Friday afternoon, the Washington Interscholastic Activities Association (WIAA) announced the cancellation of all regional wrestling tournaments last weekend. The announcement came after the 4A regional tournament had begun in Camas, so coaches decided to let the athletes still compete. Grant Kincaid and Daniel Joner of Battle Ground qualified for the 4A state tournament.
WIAA made the announcement Friday morning through social media and stated that “due to weather conditions, the WIAA has canceled all boys and girls regional wrestling tournaments in the best interest of safety and equal opportunity for all participants.”
Staff and event managers of the state athletics organization are expected to develop a 32-entry WIAA Mat Classic tournament, the details of which were not available by press deadline.
The Mat Classic tournament is currently still scheduled to begin Friday, Feb. 15.
Visit wiaa.com for updates throughout the week.
Effect on basketball
Stormy and snowy weather also had an effect on the hardwood, shifting a number of games to different times. Here's how it stands now:
• After losing their first-round game in the 4A Boys District Basketball Tournament to Curtis last Thursday (63-56) the Battle Ground Tigers will face Auburn in a loser-out game at 7:45 p.m., Wednesday, Feb. 13 at Olympia High School.
• Hockinson and Ridgefield made it to the 2A Boys Basketball District 4 Tournament. Hockinson will play Black Hills as Black Hills High School Feb. 12 at 6 p.m., and Ridgefield will play Aberdeen at Aberdeen High School Feb. 12 at 5 p.m.
Editor’s note: see reports on La Center and Prairie’s first-round games on pages B1 and B2 for their next scheduled playing time.
• La Center will kick off their 1A Girls Basketball District 4 Tournament Feb. 12 against Montesano at Montesano High School. Tipoff is at 4 p.m.
• Woodland and Ridgefield both made it to the 2A Girls Basketball District 4 Tournament. Woodland is set to play Black Hills at 6 p.m., Feb. 12 at Woodland High School. Ridgefield will play W.F. West at 6 p.m., Feb. 12 at W.F. High School High School.
• Prairie will play Lincoln at 5 p.m., Wednesday, Feb. 13 at Prairie High School in the first round of the 3A Girls District Basketball Tournament.